A Delicate Subject – Undergarments for Tall Ladies

Do you ever think about what niche you would fill were you to start your own tall clothing line?  The niche I’d love to fill always makes me blush a smidge which is why I’ve kept it a secret.  Well today I’m spilling the secret – I’d love to start an intimates and hosiery collection for tall women since finding well fitting unmentionables has always been a source of frustration for me.  I also adore all things delicate and lacy and think it would be amazing to design some of these items. I am not in the least entrepreneurial and I don’t have any plans to start said tall underthings line, but let’s get personal for a bit and talk about what has worked for me and what has worked for you and see if we can’t help each other out on the topic of undergarments for tall ladies. (P.S. Be sure to read to the end for some brands that are offering tall and tall-friendly intimates options!)

Where to find lingerie and undergarments for tall ladies

Disclaimer – This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

The Bottom Half – Tall Underwear and Tall Hosiery

Underwear

I don’t know about other tall ladies but I have a rather long rear. I remember Laura from All the Tall Things blog (now owner of Otto+Ivy footwear) talking about “tall bum” awhile back so maybe it’s not just me and really is a “tall” thing? My backside also happens to be quite ample.  Since I was three years old, my buns have peeked out of my bathing suits and even when I played volleyball in high school and weighed 50 pounds less than I do now, my buns STILL tried to make an escape from my spandex shorts every now and again.  Bun-peek has always been with me regardless of my weight or age and, lest you think I’m complaining, I like my round bum just fine.

However, the combo of a long and large backside often makes it difficult to find underwear that fits properly. The last thing I want is for my briefs to ride up and cut my buns in half.  Who needs 4 buns? Not me! Two are enough, thank you very much! I FINALLY found a solution for underwear that will cover my whole long backside…searching for either retro briefs or pretty post partum briefs!  I know wearing post partum undies doesn’t sound sexy but I bought some of these lacy ones from Kindred Bravely and they’ve worked out great so far.  Other tall ladies have recommended briefs from Natori, Pact, Arq, Huha and Soma.

Hosiery

I’ve had some luck with finding tall hosiery (mostly from Hue, DKNY and Donna Karen), but I feel like there is still a lot to be desired in the tall-sized hosiery selection. Or maybe I just need to explore the hosiery scene more.  One of my issues is that my thighs are a size large and as I pull the tights up they start getting rather thin not too far above my knee as they stretch both vertically and horizontally to cover all of my leg real estate. Many tall ladies I know swear by Snag tights but I have yet to try them. Exciting update as of 2023…Tall Size now carries high quality made-in-Italy tall hosiery from a brand called Threads!

RELATED POST – The Ultimate Guide to Tall Clothing Brands

The Top Half – Bras for Tall Women

Do you find yourself having to let your bra straps out all the way and even then the straps still dig into your shoulders?  I’m not even that well-endowed and I still have this problem, so I can’t imagine how uncomfortable the bra-strap-shoulder-dig might be for someone more well-endowed than me.  If you think about it, all areas of a tall lady usually involve more real estate so it would make sense that there would be a longer space from under our bust or from our upper back to the top of our shoulders. I don’t really have a good solution here. Don’t even get me started on sports bras! Those are THE WORST.  Do you struggle with finding bras that don’t give you the bra-strap-shoulder-dig? Do you have any tips on finding well-fitting bras for tall ladies? 2023 update! American Tall now carries sports bras!

The Full Kit and Caboodle – Tall Lingerie and Tall PJs

Is it too much to ask for a pretty, lacey nightgown or slip that actually falls somewhere around mid-thigh rather than mid-bun or extends (gasp!) to to the floor?  Or, let’s face it, sometimes us tall ladies want something a little sultry to wear like a bustier but I have yet to see one that would fit a long torso.  I’ve already written about my bustier shopping debacle for my wedding. I still get a little cranky when I think of my poor mom trying to cram me into that torturous garment and the dressing room attendant eyeing me up and down and saying “This is hitting you in all the wrong places because your torso is too long for it.  It’s smushing your sides and giving you chubs.”  Because THAT’S what you should really be saying to an obviously stressed bride-to-be. BAH!!!

Even basics like cute tall PJs can be hard to come by.  Luckily, brands like Lola Long, American Tall and Simply Tall currently have some nice tall PJs, and I’ve also heard good things about the tall Cozy Earth PJs.

Help is on the way! Brands with Pretty PJs and Sexy Nightwear

After I’ve finished a blogrant, I usually try to end on a positive note.  Here are some tall brands that offer pretty PJs and sexy nightwear.

Maxxiii Collection, which is based in the U.S., offers some beautiful satin PJs and sexy lounge sets and more. Definitely keep an eye on this brand!

Rozana LDN is based in the UK and offers beautiful satin PJs, this sexy night dress and will be launching more styles soon!

Hot  Knickers Lingerie – This brand will do made-to-measure bespoke lingerie! Imagine getting lineage and underwear specifically for your measurements…a tall girl’s dream.

Veraf Clothing – As part of my Tall Speciality Shop Challenge, I came across VeRaf Clothing and noticed that they launched a nightwear collection with some beautiful pieces!

Image courtesy of VeRaf Clothing

Let’s chat! Do you find it difficult to find the kind of intimates and PJs that you want?  Do you also have “tall bum” like me?

You might also like…

Comfy Tall Sweatsuit from Liv Tall

Review of Long Torso One-Piece Swimsuit from Jessica Rey

Review of Lola Long PJs

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

• Reply tallwife.com May 18, 2015 at 6:08 pm

First of all, I love your collection of words to describe the 'parts we normally shall not mention', that made me giggle. 🙂

It's true though: because we are tall, everything is proportionate, feet are bigger, shoulders are wider, and 'bon bon' is bigger too. I am not sure if I have a 'tall bum' though. Come to think of it, those lower cut jeans always very easily show off a bit too much at the back if I have to grab something from the floor, if you know what I mean (some call it a Whale Tail… ;). I always thought that was the shape of the pants; now I'm starting to realize I might have a tall bum!! OMG!!! Just what i need; another tall feature!! 😉

Back to undies; I have actually found that an Victoria's secret size M for underwear works well for me; I always choose the same fabric but in different colors; no skin-cutting/4-bum-creating-issues there.

As for Bras, I also was not the first in line when those were handed out. I never really pay that much attention to bras though; I have a few that fit OK, but because I am not 'well-endowed' (love that expression!!!) I don't need special ones to support the lot as there's not much to support. 😉

Nighties: I have to admit, I don't wear them, have never looked for them, no intelligent comments from me on that one.

Hoisery: In NL, a typical Dutch shop called Hema used to do 'long leg tights', but I haven't seen them for a while. I do get away with their 44/46 (Similar to L or XL I suppose) size as well. Granted; it isn't the best quality and I go through them like M&M's during an action film, but to me, they are disposable goods anyway as I wear them so often.
    For better quality ones, Oroblu works well for me. Nothing is more annoying that having your tights stop somewhere at knee height!

Lovely article, very witty. Serious issues though, but you managed to find the right tone of voice to make it easier to talk about! 🙂

xx

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 20, 2015 at 10:00 am

Glad you got a giggle or two out of it! 🙂

Oh yes…the dreaded Whale Tail! That has happened to me more times than I care to admit.

That's good to know re VS. I've always been a size large there and haven't yet found my go-to style for briefs but maybe I'll keep trying.

Hah! Going through hosiery like M&Ms! That's a good (and unfortunately accurate) description. The Donna Karen nudes ones are $20 a pop. They're SUPER sheer and just the slightest bump can make them run. I really don't know why I keep buying them other than the fact that they make my leg tone look so even. I've never heard of Oroblu. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the rec!

• Reply Tall girl May 20, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I'm also going through my hosiery like M&M's during an action film – that expression is sooo funny! For this gluttonous reason, I never buy expensive tights, but stick to size Large in H&M (I size up one size so they'll be long enough). Oroblu' are nice but costs an arm and a leg here in Norway — though tbt, I'd live in Falke, if price wasn't an objection…Anett | Tall Girl's Fashion

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 25, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I saw some Falke hosiery at a store the other day. Need to go back and investigate further. I agree though – not spending a bundle on tights is probably the most prudent course of action

• Reply Lydia May 18, 2015 at 7:47 pm

This post made me laugh. I definitely have tall bum too. Im never satisfied with my undies. I will check out your recommendations.

• Reply The Tall Mama May 19, 2015 at 12:04 am

Oh how I can relate!

I had bought some new "tall" pantyhose which I threw on before rushing my girls out the door to church. They were not tall. Not. At. All. Before I even got to the car the crotch was half way down my thighs. I thank the Lord that I always wear knee length skirts because it would have made for very awkward moments.

I will go back to buying extra large or "queen" size as I'd rather have the waist band under my boobs than a crotch around my knees!

I will check out your recommendations as I clearly need help!!!

Thanks!
    Allison @ thetallmamastyle.blogspot.com

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 20, 2015 at 9:55 am

Oh my gosh Allison! I was alternating between giggling and feeling really badly for you. I can definitely commiserate on the crotch riding low on pantyhose. It's NOT a pleasant experience. And waist band around the boobs as opposed to around the knees is definitely preferable!

• Reply auntp May 18, 2015 at 10:39 pm

I'm definitely not tall, but this post was just plain fun to read 🙂

• Reply Melissa May 19, 2015 at 2:36 am

Finally had a chance to read the post. Had to wait until I came home from work. I left comments on Instagram but would add that the bra and "tall bum" issues are the worst for me. Swimsuits, too! Tights are difficult for the same reasons you described and I recently tried a pair of footless compression tights (I stand ALL day) that were like a diaper because I had to size up to get enough length. Needless to say I put a bee in the company's ear to start making tall sizes. I don't really wear "pajama sets" but maybe I would if they were more readily available. I have had the idea that someone (not me!) should open a tall specialty shop for lingerie or at least a line that's sold in other stores. Hopefully more will follow in VeRaf's footsteps.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 20, 2015 at 10:04 am

I loved your comments on IG! It's nice to have someone to commiserate with who also has trouble finding bra straps that are long enough and undies suitable for the tall bum. Swimsuits are also quite challenging and I've been wearing flirty skirted bottoms for years.

Oh man! Diaper-like compression tights don't sound fun! Glad you gave the company an earful about the need for tall sizes.

I also REALLY REALLY hope we get more tall lingerie options in the future. Fingers crossed!

• Reply Fevie May 19, 2015 at 3:35 am

Loved the descriptors they made me laugh. I'm looking forward to checking out VeRaf nightwear when it launches and I'm gonna checkout the reto undies too. Finding well fitted under garments is a trial for normal women then just add some height to it and it's downright suffering of an extreme magnitude don't you think? There are no easy answers but I'm glad you put it out there so we can benefit from the collective tall wisdom on this.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 20, 2015 at 10:06 am

So tickled that I'm making so many people laugh! You're right. Shopping for underthings is challenging in and of itself and the height thing just adds another layer to the challenge.

• Reply Tall girl May 20, 2015 at 7:04 pm

What an hilarious and very well written post! And also timely, as I spent an entire day with my tights falling down only last week! I've never seen tall tights and would by an armfull if I got a chance. I size up one size, but sometimes this makes the top too big and said tights fall off. But at least I won't have a saggy crotch, right?Regarding undies, or knickers, as I'd like to call them, I've just got into Hanky Panky's briefs. They are boyfriend style and both pretty and stretchy — no VPLs or multiple bumcheeks. They are a bit pricey, but I pick them up in the sales.The length of bra straps have never been an issue for me, but finding nightgowns or petticoats have been — they are just too short. I've also got a bit issue with lowrise trousers in general — my bum sticks out even before I've bent over. They are made for people with both a flat and a short bootie, neither of which I have. Just this week I tried on a pair of flared jeans from Frame, and oh boy, were I sold! They had the perfect rise, were the most stretchy jeans I've ever had on (both ways) and were almost too long for me (I have to wear heels with them)! It was like winning the tall jeans jackpot, and my winner chances are usually non-existent! Now I've just got to find a way to pay for them… ;-)Keep up the good work, Beth!Anett | Tall Girl's Fashion

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 25, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Thanks Anett! Oh my gosh – saggy crotch tights syndrome is never fun! Good suggestion re Hanky Panky. I have tried them before and remember liking them. Wow! The flat and short bootie does not seem to be a common feature amongst us tall ladies. Glad to know I'm not alone in that! I can't WAIT to see your Frame jeans. I've been curious about this brand for awhile and was even looking at a pair of their jeans the other day.

• Reply Sara - Girl in the Pretty Dress May 25, 2015 at 10:33 am

Oh the Tall Bum… I'm very familiar with it. Great post – my friends laugh when I go on about having a tall pelvis, but the struggle is real!! Can't say I've ever had the bra strap problem though as my upper body doesn't seem to have stretched out quite as much as the rest of me. I swim a lot and I've found Slazenger swimsuits have quite a bit of give in them. Marks and Spencer (UK) also sell longer length swim suits (worth a look when you make it to London) xx

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 25, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Yes Sara! The struggle is totally real, right? Thanks for the tip on the swimsuits!

• Reply Tall Clothing Review: 38" Inseam Slim Bootcut Jeans From Tallwater Jeans August 19, 2015 at 5:53 pm

[…] all sounds fine and good on paper but would these jeans REALLY look good on my hard-to-fit size large thighs and bonbon, size small waist and long […]

• Reply Long Tall Sally Review: Tassels and Lace! September 9, 2015 at 9:52 am

[…] into and out of my  seat (and also when I’m just sitting there minding my own business).  As previously discussed, I have what’s known as “tall bum” so there is a lot of real estate to cover back there. Nothing annoys me more than having to […]

• Reply Peggy April 24, 2017 at 11:22 pm

We’re coming up on swimsuit season, I stumbled upon your blog while desperately searching for anyone sharing my “tall butt” struggle. I have always had an extremely difficult time finding swim bottoms that will cover the top and bottom of my butt simultaneously. It’s become even more of a problem now that I have a son, I hate the idea of chasing him around the pool or beach with half of my bits hanging out.
    I know I could (and in the past I have) used swim shorts to cover up, but I find them to be really uncomfortable. Does anyone have any advice or a favorite brand of swimsuits that are made specifically for tall women? I am a size 4, but I have to buy a L-XL in all swimsuits so that my booty doesn’t completely hang out, and then they don’t fit properly in the waist (or the top if it’s a one piece).
    Someone help!
    Thanks!

• Reply Chloe November 12, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Love, love, love this post!! It’s so important that us tall ladies have what we need available in all areas of our closets and there really just isn’t enough out there! I’m currently in my final year at De Montfort University in the UK studying BAHons Contour Fashion (a lingerie and swimwear course). For my final collection of 6 outfits I’m going to be focusing on either lingerie or swimwear for tall women. If anyone has any ideas or wouldn’t mind getting in on some market research that would be amazing!! Hopefully I can find a solution for us!
    Thanks,
    Chloe

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures November 12, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Hi Chloe – Great to hear from you! The struggle is real for us tall ladies re swimwear and lingerie, right?! I think that’s awesome that you’re going to focus on these areas for your final collection. You might want to consider joining the FB group Tall Guides and asking if anyone wants to participate in your market research. Here’s the link – https://www.facebook.com/login/?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2FTeamTall

• Reply Chloe November 13, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Hi Beth,
        Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction- I’ll definitely join the group as it’ll be great to reach out to as many tall girlies as I can in the process 🙂
        Thanks,
        Chloe

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures November 19, 2017 at 5:27 pm

You’re very welcome!

• Reply Lucy Byrne February 5, 2021 at 7:39 am

I find swimsuits hard to get, and cute teddy’s/corset type lingerie. Only think I get are babydolls!

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures February 16, 2021 at 7:10 pm

Yes! All of those are so hard to find for sure

• Reply Fran February 11, 2021 at 9:06 pm

Hello, tall lady here, i know this is an old post but thought I’d share my tip anyway as I only just came across this!

I find that when it comes to bras a ‘multi-way’ bra comes with way longer straps than a normal one, because they have to be able to go into an “X” shape at the back of a standard person so if you wear it normally it gives you much more strap to play with, sadly they are sometimes hard to find – keep your eyes peeled (once we can go shopping again)

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures February 16, 2021 at 7:09 pm

That’s a great tip! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Louise Schwendeman May 12, 2021 at 12:05 am

This is an awesome topic. When I was young the first pantyhose that worked for me were Legg’s in Queen size. I was an underweight 6’2″ but if I got the control top kind they would stay up. Before control top came along I wore a panty girdle over the hose to keep them up. I do not wear pantyhose any more. I do wear tights meant for dance classes. I did when I was young too. I maxed out the volume of an XL at 140 lbs in high school, but later Capezio started making XXL and I was OK. Major weight gain later in life worried me when I went back to dance in my 40s, but there are 2 brands of plus tights that go long enough. Capezio is one that makes them now, but they bind at my groin. Bodywrappers makes 2 plus sizes and one of them goes to 6 feet on the size chart but since I am not at the top of the weight range they still fit me beautifully. They may be for dance class but they have colors that can be worn for fashion too. They stay up, but generally I wear a leotard over the tights so if they wanted to slide down that would fix that. It did in high school when I absolutely needed help keeping them up.
    Bodywrap, a different part of the same company, probably still makes control body suits. They are not really sexy or decorative but they are very comfortable and do the job of smoothing a person nicely. All you need to do to get extra length is to size up and they have a good range of regular to plus. God bless two way stretch.

Bras were and remain a nightmare. I measured a AA as a teen and 20 something with nothing but mosquito bites on a large expanse of chest wall, but a training bra never fit because it was not proportioned for a long upper torso and the straps were never long enough. Any cup that suited for length and width protruded way too much. Part of that strap length problem is that I am long from shoulder to bust, but if I had more breast tissue it would come up higher on my chest wall and the straps might be long enough. Sometimes. Weight gain has put me into a B or C cup these days, but the straps are still a problem. Going without during much of quarantine was nice. I can still pass the pencil test but do not usually go out in public without a bra, but mostly a comfy sports bra I love and is now discontinued is the only kind I wear.

I do not have tall bum. I am short in the rise in general, for my height. I never could tolerate a thong though. I am told it is all a matter of proper fit. Maybe I never found that???

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures June 1, 2021 at 4:34 am

Thanks for all of the info and tips and apologies for my delay in replying! All of this really is a struggle, isn’t it?!

• Reply Christine Duffy May 12, 2021 at 4:38 am

Looking forward to try your products. It has been very frustrating finding a long torso fit.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures June 1, 2021 at 4:34 am

Yes! it’s such a struggle

• Reply Terry Morris January 5, 2024 at 11:52 pm

I have just seen this post, years too late.
    I am 6 ft tall and have always had what I’ve always called a long bum. No one else ever understood, and I’m so glad to see that other tall gals have it. Tall Bum – yeah, exactly right!
    My bum is kind of flat and definately not toned and I have never found undies that sit right on my nether regions. They always ride up and give me 4 bums, no matter how large a size I buy. The worst feeling is when you have way too much baggy fabric in the crutch from undies being way too big, but still dealing with ride-up in the back.
    Even boy shorts type won’t cover the real estate completely and somehow I still end up with the dreaded 4 bums.
    I only wear g string undies, since whatever I wear is going to work its way up there anyway. They are fine but I’m almost 60 and dread the idea of my skirt whipping up in a breeze. No one needs to see that!
    I’ve gone with long leg Lycra bike shorts in the past, but I have to wear a g string underneath due to the lack of a cotton gusset. That is not the most comfortable feeling to be sure.
    And jeans – the low rise were definately a challenging phase for me. But medium rise are tricky for me as well. I am always tugging at my top as I sit down, to make sure I don’t have too much on show. And if a chair has an open back, I like to try to position myself with my back to a wall. Not always practical. Even high rise have their issues. If I pull them up high enough to actually sit where they should, back and front wedgies and much fidgeting ensue.
    Oh the challenges.
    I’m proud of my height and very comfortable with myself in that way, I just wish I could find some decent knickers.
    Thanks for hearing me out.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures January 7, 2024 at 2:03 am

I related to everything you said so much! Boyshort undies also give me 4 bums which is frustrating. I used to only wear thongs for YEARS but am now to the point where I only wear the super full coverage post partum briefs from Kindred Bravely and those work well. I’m also glad that they have a bit of lace but it does seem a bit ridiculous that the only underwear that fit my tall bum are made for right after one gives birth. I tried a pair of full briefs from Pact and still got the 4 bums so that was disappointing and a no go (even though some tall women swear by them). I also often wear boy shorts under my shirts and dresses too and still have trauma from the low rise jeans days of my 20s. Haha! So many things to consider for finding well fitting clothing when tall! Thanks for your fun comment…it’s fun to commiserate.