J.Crew Majesty Peacoast for tall women

Cold Weather Favorites and Life Lately

As you can see, my late summer break that I took in September turned into a full blown blogging sabbatical. Oops! I’ve had a bit of difficulty getting back into the swing of blogging the past couple of months for a few reasons and decided I’d quickly catch you up on what’s been going down and what I’ve been thinking. Buckle your seatbelt since this is a bit long.

First, I just feel like such a busy bee between my part-time job, my volunteer work, my German lessons, managing our household, traveling and maintaining some semblance of a social life. I’m trying to remember how on earth I used to make time for blogging before. Granted, September to November were busier than expected since I was on the planning committee for a large-scale, multi-day local charity event and was the coordinator for 100s of volunteers when the event took place in early November. Now that the event is over and I’m done herding cats managing volunteers, I do have a bit more free time and hope to get back into the swing of writing again.

Also, if I can just be honest for a sec, I have been feeling generally meh and disillusioned with the fashion industry. If you’ve been following me for any length of time, you probably know about my Thoughtful Shopping Series which involves exploring where and how my clothes are made before I make a purchase. I’ve been reading the book Wardrobe Crisis: How We Went from Sunday Best to Fast Fashion and some other articles which have exposed some of the ugliness of the fashion industry and it just makes me sad. I obsessively check tags now when I’m out browsing through shops and it gets my knickers in a big bunch that the majority of things (and I’m talking pricey things here people…not $2 shirts) are made in China, India etc. and the quality just doesn’t seem that fantastic.  That’s not to say that EVERYTHING made in those areas is produced cheaply under poor labor conditions but it would take a fair amount of research on my part before I would be comfortable buying something that is made in those locations.

Long story short, shopping hasn’t been too fun for me in the past few months.  I’m craving unique, well-crafted pieces that are made in areas with good production track records (like the U.S. or Western Europe). Of course, tall retailers like MARGE Clothing will always be a great option for investment pieces. My ideal scenario would be to find an amazing tailor that I have good chemistry with so that he/she can custom make pieces for me. Another dream would be to become a regular customer of a local fair trade shop, although there’s always the tricky business of finding “non-tall” items that properly fit my long frame. I am happy to report that I may have found a solution a couple of days ago when I stumbled upon a local fair trade shop with the most beautiful pieces from a variety of “eco” brands AND two 20-somethings sitting in the shop with a sewing machine and patterns making clothes for their own brand. They said they do not make made-to-measure nothing but of course can do alterations to make pieces fit better. I can’t wait to explore the selection at this shop more!

I’m sure eventually I’ll find my groove with my “thoughtful shopping” but until then I’m just sitting tight and not shopping much at all. In the meantime, I’m happy to just be content with what is already in my closet. Having said that, I have been a bit shoppy the past few weeks and bought another pair of made-in-Italy boots from Aquatalia. These boots are currently 40% off at Nordstrom and go up to a size 13 in some colors! They are super comfy and also weatherproof!

Size 11 Aquatalia weatherproof boots Aquatalia ankle boots in size 11

I also had a super fun girls’ weekend in Switzerland with Karen from Tall Wife and scored two tops from I Love Tall in Zurich and found a gorgeous, soft-as-a-baby’s-bum cashmere pashmina from Pink Maharani while in Geneva. More on those purchases in later posts but here’s a sneak peek.Pink Maharani cashmere pashmina

Linen blend stripey top bought at I Love Tall in Zurich. Made in Germany!

Linen blend stripey top bought at I Love Tall. Made in Germany!

Sporty chic top from I Love Tall in Zurich

Sporty chic top from I Love Tall in Zurich

One more reason I’m having difficulty getting my blogging mojo going is that it is SO DANGED HARD to rustle up good photos of myself without hiring a professional photographer. Can I just get an amen on this topic from all of my fellow bloggers out there?! The husband and I don’t really have good photo taking chemistry and I haven’t been able to find a local photographer that doesn’t cost a bundle. So…I’m not really sure what to do about this yet. You may just be stuck with my super snazzy tripod living room pics and impromptu travel outfit pics for now. Hope you don’t mind!

So…in case you’ve been wondering where I’ve been and what I’ve been up to, now you know. Moving on to a more light-hearted topic, I absolutely adore cold weather fashion. Give me scarves and boots and tights and coats over sandals and sundresses any day. I couldn’t pass up the chance to show you some of my favorite looks from the past few months.

J.Crew Tall Majesty Peacoat and Aquatalia Waterproof Suede Boots – A wool peacoat is a staple in any tall girls’ closet. I bought this coat in 2012 and it’s still going strong, as are the boots which I’ve had for a whopping 6 years. I recently wore both while gallivanting around Switzerland and Paris.

J.Crew Tall Peacoat - Outerwear for traveling

A Swiss cow! Loved hearing its bell

J.Crew Tall Peacoat - Outerwear for traveling

Rainy day in Paris

I love cows! Found a Highland cow in the middle of Lucerne!

Cold weather looks for tall women - J.Crew Majesty Peacoat

Sporting my J.Crew peacoat in the Swiss Alps

Banana Republic Trench Coat and LTS Chelsea Boots – Why do trench coats make me feel so classy? I just love how I feel in this coat and was happy to wear it on our Thanksgiving getaway to Provence! This is another item that I’ve had for eons. I’m still wearing my Chelsea boots from Long Tall Sally (c/o) a ton too. I never thought I could be so enamored of such seemingly “non-feminine” boots.

Tall Banana Republic trench coat

Enjoying the view from Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Tall Banana Republic trench coat

Gorgeous Provence countryside!

Long Tall Sally Tweed Riding Jacket – I’ve been getting some good wear out of my LTS tweed riding jacket. It’s definitely the heaviest of my blazers as it’s made out of a thick fabric and is fully lined. I highly recommend investing in a heavy blazer for cooler weather since wearing it is a nice break from bulky coats and jackets! I wore this blazer recently while exploring the colorful Provencal town of Rousillion along with my LTS lace top, LTS Chelsea boots and thrifted J.Crew tall jeans.

Long Tall Sally riding jacket, lace top and Chelsea boots

Do you think he’ll notice if I steal his wine?

Blazer for tall women from Long Tall Sally

Well now you know what I’ve been up to. I hope you all are having a great holiday season so far!

• Reply Lauren December 9, 2016 at 6:22 pm

You look wonderful Beth! And it’s great to see you writing again, I’ve missed you!! I completely understand where you’re coming from though. Excited to hear how things work out with your local fair trade shop!

XX,
    Lauren

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures December 12, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Thanks so much Lauren! I appreciate the kind words and I’ve missed you too. Happy to be back

• Reply Caroline @ PrettyLong.com December 10, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Hi Beth,

so excited to have you back!! I checked your blog a couple of times in the past months hoping to read a new travel / fashion story from you, so I was super happy to read your latest post.
    I totally understand what you mean though. I mean, I seriously feel you 100% – every word you wrote – from following your cause and staying motivated to taking photos you can work with, to spreading yourself too thin with different tasks. But I love every post you write and it doesn’t matter if it’s a high end quality shoot or a homey photo your husband took of you. I simply love reading about your travels and fashion finds. 🙂

Hope you’re having a lovely Christmas season!
    All the best,
    Caroline

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures December 12, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Hi Caroline. Your kind words really mean a lot to me and I’m happy to be back too. It makes me feel better to hear that another blogger completely understands what I’m talking about. Blogging is definitely hard work, right? And you’re right – I shouldn’t let the photo thing get in the way of me writing blog posts. Hope you’re having a wonderful Christmas season too!

• Reply Siggi December 12, 2016 at 10:47 pm

Hi Beth,
    I’m glad you’re back! I missed you and I started to get worried about you 🙂 I have been thinking about starting my own blog for a while now and I cannot find the time to fit it in, so of course I understand what you are talking about. One of my issues is also (1) I don’t like to have my picture taken and (2) I hate selfies and (3) don’t know who could take my picture as I like exploring the world on my own. I am living the expat life in Belgrade now, so I can imagine how busy you are with your German lessons (although that’s my mother tongue, so that one is easy for me). Learning Serbian takes up a huge amount of my energy right now. Keep going and thanks for the update! Have a lovely Christmas
    Siggi

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures December 14, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Hi Siggi. Thanks for stopping by! I think many people who don’t blog don’t realize how much time and energy it takes but it sounds like you certainly do understand. That’s cool that you’re also an expat and trying to learn another language. It really does take a lot of focus and energy, doesn’t it? Hope you have a lovely Christmas too!

• Reply Sara December 13, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Nodded along to every word.
    I’ll hold my hands up – I have been a fast-fashionista the past few years and now I find myself with lots of clothes that I never wear. (I took a table at a second hand fair recently and realised just how bad my problem was…) We need more small brands and businesses to support who make lovely, affordable things.
    And the picture thing? My biggest bug-bear about blogging. I never feel like I’m a ‘proper blogger’ unless I’m posting pictures taken by someone who knows what they are doing with a camera. It’s really hard sometimes to find the motivation to self shoot. And yet, I feel guilty when I’m not posting because I know I love sharing content and interacting with our lovely blogging community. I think the solution is more blogger meet ups!
    This was such a great post and I empathise with it completely. Keep posting xx

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures December 14, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Hi Sara – It’s good to hear from you! I completely agree that we need more small brands making unique, affordable and responsibly made items. Fingers crossed that more and more of the fashion industry moves in this direction.

Happy to hear you understand my blogging and photo struggles. I still have a goal of taking my tripod out in public with me someday to do a self-shoot. I’d need to walk deep into a secluded forest before I’d feel comfortable though and I’m sure it’d take me 324738297032 hours to do. I think you’re right…the only logical solution must be more blogger meet-ups! 🙂

Have a lovely Christmas!

• Reply Laura Crabb January 4, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Hi Beth
    Love your latest article, and the pics – I spent some time travelling in Switzerland this summer – just stunning! And really appreciating where you are with regards to ‘slow’ fashion. We’ve recently launched a tall clothing brand and it’s been a real struggle to keep it local and avoid the pressure to move manufacture to the East. We’re really proud all our clothes are designed and made in Great Britain – but it does mean that the pieces are not available at ‘fast fashion’ prices! Would love to talk more with you about our philosophy and approach for the future. Laura x

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures January 8, 2017 at 10:48 am

Hi Laura! Thanks for stopping by. Switzerland really is stunning, isn’t it?

I really admire your dedication to manufacturing your clothing line in GB as opposed to moving production overseas. I am absolutely willing to pay a fair price for clothing that is made with care because I have come to realize how much work and skill goes into making such garments. I will definitely be in touch in the near future as I’d love to hear more about North Clothing!

• Reply Thoughtful Shopping: IVKO Wool Sweater Dress March 14, 2017 at 5:19 pm

[…] how I mentioned I’d found that really cool fair trade shop in my area which not only sold some great brands but also made its own clothing right there in the shop? I […]