Long Tally Sally Outfit - Tall Blazer, Lace Top, Chelsea Boots

My Love Affair With Tall Blazers – Long Tall Sally Riding Jacket

Some may say that blazers are for old stuffy hoity toity fuddy-duddys, but I completely disagree. Adding a blazer to any outfit ups the chic factor and gives you a more put together look. My love affair with tall blazers just won’t quit and I’m always keeping my eye out for blazers with interesting details, fabrics and colors. When I spotted the Long Tall Sally riding jacket, it ticked all three of these boxes.

Interesting details? How about the subtle metallic thread running through the fabric that gives the jacket a bit of shimmer when the light hits it the right way. I also love the trio of buttons on the sleeves.  Interesting fabric? Yep! I’ve been dying for a herringbone tweed piece and now I have one.  Interesting color? Mmmmhmmm! The “sea blue” color is perfect for spring.

Tall Herringbone Tweed Blazer

If you look closely, you can see the shimmer from the metallic thread!

Details of Long Tall Sally tall blazer

Love the triple button cuff (and slight shimmer of the fabric)

As mentioned in my last post, this is the bajillioneth time I’ve worn this outfit in the past several weeks 1) because I really like it and 2) because I’ve been trying to get some good photos to share on the blog. On Monday, the weather was insanely good and my photography-loving friend and I went out exploring. We had SO much fun taking these photos in between our leisurely meanderings.

I guess you could say I’m a bit Long Tall Sally’d out in this look since the lace top and Chelsea boots are also from LTS (both c/o). I’m really liking the romantic-ish combo of the lace and light blue jacket on top paired with the more causal look of my Banana Republic skinny jeans and Chelsea boots on the bottom. To add a bit of color, I threw on my super old gold/orange necklace from Banana Republic and finished the look with my J.Crew straw hobo bag.

Long Tally Sally Outfit - Tall Blazer, Lace Top, Chelsea Boots

Long Tall Sally (Jacket, Top & Boots)+Banana Republic (Jeans & Necklace)

Long Tally Sally Outfit - Tall Blazer, Lace Top, Chelsea Boots

Fun walking through the gardens. Yay for spring!

Long Tall Sally Riding Jacket

Trio of buttons on the sleeves. Hooray!

Long Tall Sally Riding Jacket Chelsea boots

Tall Tweed Blazer and Lace Top

Love how the jacket nips in at the waist!

Blue blazer lace top orange necklace

Always love orange+blue! Necklace – Banana Republic; Jacket+lace top – LTS

Long Tall Sally Tall Blazer

Long Tall Sally Riding Jacket

Long Tall Sally Riding Jacket

Long Tall Sally Riding Jacket

Here’s my take on the more nitty gritty details of the jacket.

Fit: I’m wearing a size US6/EU38/UK10 and am incredibly happy with the fit. I love how the jacket nips in a bit at the waist when buttoned and the body and sleeve length are perfect for me.

Special Details: The trio of buttons on the sleeves and slight shimmer to the fabric are both a great touch! I’m also loving the springy sea blue color and the fabric of course.

Wearability: I’ve already gotten a ton of wear out of this riding jacket in March and April by wearing it on a trip, to work and around town. It goes great with jeans, dresses, work trousers or skirts. It is fully lined so I don’t anticipate wearing it in the summer, but I will certainly be wearing it for the rest of spring and in the fall!

Experience with the store: First, I have to say that the staff has been absolutely lovely and incredibly attentive at every LTS store I’ve visited, so my overall experience with LTS has been great. Also, I have a ton of LTS clothing and have never encountered quality issues in the past. When I visited an LTS store to buy my tall business suit recently, I was thrilled to see this jacket in my size, but I was completely flummoxed when my arm became stuck in one of the sleeves while trying on the jacket. Turns out, the lining of the sleeve was twisted and it took much maneuvering to cram my arm through the sleeve. Of course, the jacket didn’t look right once it was on and nobody wants a jacket with a twisted sleeve! When I pointed all of this out to the store manager, she told me that she could give me the jacket at 50% off since it was flawed. I wasn’t going to be able to afford the jacket at full price, but I couldn’t pass up a half off deal. I decided to take my chances hoping it wouldn’t cost too much to fix the problem. Fortunately, it only cost 12 Euro to untwist the sleeve lining. Hooray! Moral of the story – if you’re at an LTS store and notice a flaw in an item you love, you might be able to buy the item at a deep discount and then fix it yourself. Again, I’ve never experienced quality issues with LTS in the past so I’m assuming this was just a one-off oopsie (that actually kind of worked in my favor)!

Do you have any herringbone tweed in your closet? What’s your go-to early spring look? Have you ever bought a discounted faulty item and paid to have it repaired?

• Reply Andrea@WellnessNotes April 16, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Great jacket! A nice blazer can really pull an outfit together!

I’m glad you were able to get the jacket at 50% and get it fixed! I would have been very nervous to buy a piece of clothing that needs to be fixed as I don’t know anything about sewing and can never judge how difficult/expensive it will be to alter something…

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 16, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Agreed! I’m on a total blazer kick right now.

I was a bit nervous about it too especially since the price tag was still not cheap even at 50% off. I’m really glad it worked out.

• Reply Bippa April 16, 2016 at 7:42 pm

We are the same height but having tried this jacket (and last season’s winter version) I felt it would look like it fitted me way better if it was an inch or so longer in the body and the front button was a good inch lower down. The back waist seam is higher than my waist and therefore looks wrong 🙁 the sleeves ARE a good length, everything else not so good…
    I am happy you got a sort of bargain, but pretty shocking of LTS as that is obviously a major manufacturing fault.
    I really appreciate you being honest about the fault in your review – can be tricky for a blogger especially if the retailer in question gifts items (I know this was not the case here).
    Good luck with your blog, your photos are lovely.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 21, 2016 at 8:18 am

Thanks for stopping by! Now that you mention it, maybe the jacket would look better on me with your suggested adjustments. Hmmm… Overall, I’m happy with it though.

I’ve never had quality issues with LTS before so I’m hoping this was just a one time oops on their part. I’m glad to hear you appreciate my honesty. It’s always my goal to be honest on the blog! 🙂

• Reply Lauren April 17, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Beth, you look absolutely beautiful in this jacket, and I love how you’ve styled it with skinny jeans and a gorgeous lace top. It’s the perfect look for spring, and the jacket provides a stunning element of versatility. Pairing any spring outfit with a blazer is one of my favorite ways to wear a “jacket” without having to throw on my trench coat day in and day out.

XX,
    Lauren

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 21, 2016 at 8:20 am

Thanks so much Lauren! I agree that blazers are the perfect “not-so-jackety” jacket.

• Reply Paula April 18, 2016 at 9:29 pm

You look adorable in this outfit! Almost makes me wish I was taller, living where it is cold enough to enjoy wearing a blazer, and that I had places to go looking this snazzy!:-) The photos are gorgeous.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 21, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Thanks so much Paula!

• Reply Allison @ The Tall Mama April 21, 2016 at 8:54 am

This is a fabulous outfit!! I love everything and you look gorgeous. Seriously, some of those shots look like you’re doing a shampoo commercial! x Allison

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 21, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Thanks Allison! You’re too funny about the shampoo commercial. There was a bit of hair flipping going on in these photos. 🙂

• Reply Sara April 22, 2016 at 9:22 pm

What a gorgeous post, the photos are lovely and so is the jacket! I’m very jealous of the sunshine too.

Sara

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 29, 2016 at 7:48 am

Thanks Sara! We’ve had snow showers the past 3 days but today is super sunny and supposed to be a bit warmer. I’m excited.

• Reply Caroline April 27, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Hi Beth,

Thanks for this lovely post! You look so beautiful in this blazer and the whole outfit is really nicely put together. You know, I have a ton of blazers in my closet and never wear them! Some still even have the price tag on. For some reason I always feel too business-y and serious as soon as I put them on, because I feel most comfortable in casual looks. But your post changed my mind and inspired me to finally take them out for a spring tour! 🙂

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 29, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Hi Caroline. Thanks for stopping by and thanks so much for your kind words! You made my day. I only started wearing blazers within the past few years and have discovered that there are definitely ways to make “blazer-wearing” a little more fun and a little less serious/business-y. I’m so happy to hear that you found some inspiration in my post. Would love to see some pics of your “spring blazer tour”. 🙂

• Reply 4 Days in the Scottish Highlands - Tall Travel Style August 22, 2016 at 5:46 pm

[…] I Wore: Herringbone Riding Jacket, Polka Dot Top and Chelsea Boots (all from Long Tall Sally); Banana Republic Skinny […]

• Reply Cold Weather Favorites and Life Lately December 9, 2016 at 5:35 pm

[…] Long Tall Sally Tweed Riding Jacket – I’ve been getting some good wear out of my LTS tweed riding jacket. It’s definitely the heaviest of my blazers as it’s made out of a thick fabric and is fully lined. I highly recommend investing in a heavy blazer for cooler weather since wearing it is a nice break from bulky coats and jackets! I wore this blazer recently while exploring the colorful Provencal town of Rousillion along with my LTS lace top, LTS Chelsea boots and thrifted J.Crew tall jeans. […]

• Reply Studying my Closet - 4 Items to Buy in 2017 January 15, 2017 at 4:22 pm

[…] this seems to be quite hard to find in the tall-sized clothing world. I am quite pleased with my blue herringbone blazer that I bought from Long Tall Sally in […]

• Reply Kerry March 27, 2017 at 2:27 am

I have the same blazer from LTS and love it too! I’d been thinking it was more wintry, but with your thoughts on springtime wear, I think pairing it with pink pants might just extend it further! I’m going to try it. The cut fits me perfectly. As do most LTS clothes… fortunately!
    Great blog… thanks!

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures March 27, 2017 at 7:59 am

Hi Kerry – Your note made my day. I always love it when I’ve helped a reader re-imagine her clothing. 🙂 I wear this blazer a ton in both fall and spring. Very versatile! I think it would look amazing with pink pants. Now I might have to try mine with some brighter tops or pants.