How to wear a ruana wrap

Cozy Chic! Echo Ruana Wrap From Long Elegant Legs

Every now and again, I try to push myself out on a fashion limb by buying something out of my comfort zone.  That’s what I did when I bought the Echo New York ruana wrap from Long Elegant Legs as part of my Tall Speciality Shop Challenge.  When I first saw the cozy, blankety looking ruana wraps on LEL’s website, I thought “Hmmm…rrrrrruuuuuannnaaa! That’s kind of fun to say but what the heck is it”?  According to my research assistants Googs and Wiki, a ruana is a poncho-ish garment typically found in the Andes region of Venezuela and Columbia used not only as a garment to keep you warm and toasty but also as a blanket while sleeping or even a cushion to sit on.  A little while after noticing the ruanas on LEL’s website, I also saw some in my Nordstrom Anniversary Sale catalog and a couple of other places.  It seems they are a popular item for fall!

When the ruana wrap arrived,  I was immediately drawn to the pretty purple and blue colors of the fabric but I was also a bit overwhelmed by the garment’s volume.  It just seemed like SO MUCH FABRIC.  Since my upper body is slender, I tend to shy away from bulky or shapeless tops, and I honestly wasn’t sure if I was ever going to be able to figure out how to wear this voluminous blankety looking thing in a way that flattered me.  As you can see in Everything Just So’s How I Wear My feature, I wore it while exploring Paris but I feel like I looked kind of blobby up top and I wasn’t very happy with the overall look.

Thankfully, I found some great styling tips on the How I Wear My Poncho or Wrap feature mentioned above and elsewhere on the inter webs, so now my ruana wrap and I are becoming fast friends.  My favorite look so far is wearing the wrap with a belt in order to tame the bulk and define my waist.  I find that fitted, neutral tops look best under the ruana wrap, and I’ve been gravitating toward tops with a high necklines since I don’t want to wear a scarf with the wrap.   Similar to my tops, I also wear fitted pants or jeans when wearing this wrap.  I figure the ruana takes up enough real estate on its own and doesn’t need to share space with loose fitting pants or shirts.

What I’m Wearing:

Ruana and grey sweater – Long Elegant Legs
36″ Inseam White jeans – Mavi (Review here)
Extended Calf Boots – J.Crew (Review here)
Belt – Madewell (Old)

Echo New York Ruana

Love the subtle purple and dark navy fabric and the fringe!

Long Elegant Legs Ruana

Surveying the fall foliage in my ruana

The ruana will be a perfect travel companion on long flights since it basically doubles as a blanket and it is also the perfect replacement for a jacket on mild fall days.  If I can ever find me a campfire or bonfire, I envision myself all hunkered down under my wrap with a steaming mug of hot chocolate.  Instead of sitting by a campfire, I decided to go prancing amongst some trees with pretty foliage today.  I do love the movement of the garment when I’m walking (or twirling).

Echo New York Ruana

How to wear a ruana

Twirl!

How to wear a ruana

LEL Ruana Wrap

What are your thoughts on wraps, ponchos etc.?  Do you already own a wrap?  If so, how do you like to wear it?

• Reply Andrea@WellnessNotes October 24, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Pretty wrap! I love that you belted it to give it some shape. And the boots & white jeans look great with the wrap!

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 24, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Thanks so much Andrea! I tried it with a few different belts and all were either too skinny or too thick. Then I remembered this one and it was just right. I’ve tried the wrap with black and blue jeans but I think pairing it with the white jeans is my favorite so far.

• Reply San October 25, 2015 at 8:23 am

I love this outfit! Do you think it could suit me too, with my rather broad shoulders?

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 25, 2015 at 10:17 am

Thanks San! I do think this look would suit you as my shoulders are a bit broad as well.

• Reply Stephanie October 25, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Yes I have a Ruana that I took to Europe and now I wear it all the time. I’m toying with the idea of making one as they are not difficult to make. I have been eyeing the LEL one you’re wearing but I’m not sure about the length in front. My Ryan’s is long both front and back which I like. Mine is also not as bulky I don’t think. I love the belted look though. You definitely look chic and beautiful in it with the boots and belt. You also answered a question bc in the Lel catalog and site I thought I saw some purple but couldn’t tell for sure.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 29, 2015 at 7:38 am

Hooray for another ruana fan! Yes…this one does have an ample amount of fabric which can make it seem a bit bulky if it’s not “tamed” properly. Glad you like the way I styled it and happy to answer your question about the purple in the fabric. 🙂

• Reply Paty @antesAltaquesinsilla October 26, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Hi Beth!
    I’ve had so much fun reading your post since I don’t have any poncho or ruana for the same reason. I find it’s out of my “comfort zone” and that there’s too much fabric for me. Nevertheless, everytime I see somebody on a poncho I see it so flattering, as is your case. That made me think I could try one and risk a little bit.. there’s always more to gain than to lose! Thanks for the review and for opening the door to new possibilities!

Besos, Paty from antes Alta que sinsilla

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 29, 2015 at 7:40 am

Hi Paty! I felt the same – I always loved seeing wraps or ponchos on others and didn’t think I could pull it off. But I guess we don’t know if we don’t try, right? Hope you find one that suits you and I can’t wait to see it on your blog. xo

• Reply Allison @ The Tall Mama October 26, 2015 at 10:17 pm

I am a big fan of wraps etc. As our winters don’t typically get too cold, I can get away with one in place of a coat. I LOVE how you’ve styled it! I think being tall works really well with this style as we don’t get lost in it. x Allison

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 29, 2015 at 7:42 am

Yes! Wraps would be perfect in a climate with a more mild winter. Glad you like the way I’ve styled it. I agree that we tall ladies can carry off a bulkier wrap quite well because it doesn’t overwhelm our figure.

• Reply P2aula October 29, 2015 at 1:48 am

Love the outfit and the scenery…..beautiful!

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 29, 2015 at 7:42 am

Thanks a bunch!

• Reply Dawn Lucy October 30, 2015 at 9:28 pm

What a fab wrap! The white pants are unexpected and totally work!

Thanks so much for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday & have a happy Halloween!

OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 31, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Thanks Dawn Lucy! I wasn’t sure I would like the ruana with the white jeans before I tried them on together but I love it! Hope you have a happy Halloween too!

• Reply Nora Minassian/Jacket Society October 31, 2015 at 2:08 am

Love everything about this outfit and the scenery is beautiful 🙂
    Nora

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 31, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Thanks Nora! I was very happy to find this pretty spot during our drive!

• Reply Tall Textured Sweater - Long Elegant Legs Review November 2, 2015 at 12:50 pm

[…] I’m reviewing today for instance.  You already got a peek at it when I wore it under my Long Elegant Legs ruana wrap.  I’ve also been wearing this textured sweater layered over button-up shirts like my LEL […]

• Reply What is a Ruana? - Long Elegant Legs Blog December 11, 2015 at 9:10 pm

[…] action? Beth of Tall Fashion Adventures gave one a test drive recently – check out her review by clicking here (and say hi to her from […]

• Reply Talltique Layering Tee - 4 Ways February 9, 2016 at 8:00 pm

[…] my ruana from Long Elegant Legs? I think it looks pretty swell with a pop of burgundy underneath, don’t […]