Tall Travel Style: Amsterdam – Hungry Birds Food Tour and Dinner at Restaurant Sinne

You might not want to read this installment of Tall Travel Style on an empty stomach.  I’ll be sharing about a couple of memorable food experiences that we had in Amsterdam and it’s likely to make you a bit hungry!

Activity #1 – A nice dinner at one of the newer hotspots in Amsterdam, Restaurant Sinne.

What I wore:
Loft Tall Blazer
Ann Taylor Graphic Skirt
Long Tall Sally Black Layering Tee
HUE Tall Tights
Tory Burch Pointy Toe Flats
Kate Spade Turquoise Necklace

Why I wore it: Even though it was a chilly night, I was determined to wear a skirt to dinner because I’m SO tired of pants. I mean it IS spring, isn’t it? Luckily, I had brought a pair of tights to help fend off some of the chill.I originally wanted to wear a camisole or dressier black top under my blazer but ended up opting for the LTS long sleeve layering top so that I wouldn’t have to wear a coat over my blazer. To add a little pizzazz and color to the plain black top, I wore my turquoise Kate Spade necklace.I still don’t know how people wear high heels while out and about in a big city!  There are slippery, uneven cobblestones, trams to hop on and off of, crowds to weave in and out of and, in Amsterdam, tons of bikes to dodge.  If you have any pointers on how to wear heels under these conditions, PLEASE let me know! I threw on my Tory Burch pointy toe flats which are my go-to shoes when I want to be dressy but don’t want to wear heels.  Overall, I felt warm, chic and comfortable in this get-up.

Ann Taylor Loft Skirt and Blazer

Tall Graphic Skirt and Tall Grey Blazer

I highly recommend visiting Restaurant Sinne which is outside the crowded touristy area of Amsterdam in the Pijp neighborhood.  Although it was recently awarded a Michelin star, it is a very laid back restaurant (the servers wear jeans!) where the focus is on the food rather than pomp and circumstance.  I always appreciate a completely open kitchen because Mr. L3 and I like to watch the chefs work their magic.  Mr. L3 even walked over there and asked a question about one of the dishes.  The food is simply exquisite and suits a broad range of budgets.  You can get 3 courses for 35 Euro all the way up to 6 courses for 60 Euro.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Michelin-starred restaurant with prices starting around $40 for a full meal!Here are a few of my favorite dishes:

Michelin Star Restaurant Amsterdam

Michelin Star Restaurant Amsterdam

Michelin Star Restaurant Amsterdam

Activity #2 – The Hungry Birds Food Tour is a 4+ hour tour including 12 stops throughout Amsterdam and all manner of culinary delights.

What I wore:
Talltique Bomber Jacket
Floral Ann Taylor tank
Lucky Brand Boyfriend Jeans
Sperry Top-Sider Angelfish Boat Shoes

Why I wore it: Even though it was a brisk day, I still wanted to look springy and channel all of the flowers I’d seen the previous day at the Keukenhof, so I paired the bomber jacket with a floral tank.  I like that the floral tank brought a feminine touch to the more edgy bomber jacket.  I completed the look with my Lucky boyfriend jeans and Sperrys.  Overall, it was a comfortable outfit that allowed for A LOT of eating and walking.  I saw a lot of other ladies in leather jackets and felt like I fit right in!

Pit stop at Begijnhof on the food tour

We spent a good deal of the first part of the tour meandering around the huge outdoor Albert Cuyp Market where we feasted on raw herring, deep-fried cod, stroopwafels, poffertjes (fluffy pancake-like -but-poofier treats) and other tasty morsels.  Other stops on the tour included an Indonesian market/bakery, a hipster-y organic yogurt place, a family-owned cheese shop, a FEBO (with it’s vending machine wall of warm croquettes and other snacks), Van Stepele Koekmakerij (a bakery that only makes ONE kind of cookie and it’s the most drool-worthy cookie I’ve ever had), a private garden behind an antique shop serving amazing Indonesian soup and several other places finally ending with a beer at Cafe Hoppe.  All of the food was honestly a bit overwhelming and we certainly did not need dinner that night!

Raw herring
Cod – Deep-fried deliciousness!

Looking pretty excited about my raw herring… It was delicious!

Don’t you love the zipper detail on the sleeve of the jacket?

Hammin’ it up with my fresh stroopwafel.

Put some coins in a slot, open a glass compartment, take out the food and devour it? Ummm…sure. I was skeptical but these hot croquettes from the “snack vending machine wall” at FEBO were actually quite tasty.  The food is made fresh daily, is kept hot inside the glass compartments and makes for a nifty little snack.

FEBO fast food!
Poffertjes, yogurt, cheese and cookies…oh my!
Indonesia tumeric chicken soup in a private garden

Are you tired of wearing pants during spring like me? What are your tricks for wearing your skirts and dresses while it’s still chilly? Are you a fan of food tours?

You might also like…

Scotland: Argyll & Bute, Girl in the Pretty Dress
Unique Boutiques in Den Bosch, Tall Wife
Holiday Outfits and Eats: NYC, Tall Fashion Adventures

• Reply The Tall Mama May 11, 2015 at 2:20 am

Oh how I love that brown jacket!

It's Autumn here and I'm trying to wear skirts for as long as I can. I find a good pair of tights or leggings with tall boots keep me warm while I cling to my skirts and dresses!

Allison @ thetallmamastyle.blogspot.com

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 14, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Good idea re the boots and tights to keep warm! Skirts and boots always look really cute too.

• Reply Tall girl May 11, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Yes, I'm glad that I recently ate, as looking at all these pictures of food would have tipped me over the edge! I love how the Dutch are so into their deepfried food. But it goes so well with all their beer, of course. 😉 Love your black and white skirt — so chic!

Ad for answering your questions, I wear skirts and dresses all year around and just vary the thickness of my tights (pantyhose) to ensure that I don't catch a cold. Also, I love anything related to food, so yes, bring on the food tours!

Anett | Tall Girl's Fashion

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 14, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Thanks! I love that skirt too. Good idea re varying the thickness of the pantyhose. I really love the Donna Karen Nudes line for summer. Very sheer but evens out the skin tone on my legs

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 14, 2015 at 7:32 pm

And I'm obsessed with anything food related too so there's likely to be more food posts on here. 🙂

• Reply auntp May 12, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Beautiful post….both food and fashion! You have me thinking more about how to travel and pack clothes for looking better while enjoying the adventure.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 14, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Thanks! It actually took quite a lot of time and thought to figure out outfits with both comfort and style but it was worth the effort in the end!

• Reply Fevie May 13, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Amazing outfits! Amazing food! What a fabulous adventure you're having.

• Reply Fevie May 13, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Oh I forgot to mention that the photo with the kitchen dish towels hanging up is beautiful.

• Reply tallwife.com May 14, 2015 at 7:03 pm

OMG! You went to FEBO!! hahaha! Very funny! Not my personal favourite, not is the herring 😉 I do love poffertjes and stroopwafels though! That restaurant looks very nice too btw! 🙂

That black and white skirt is lovely! I went to Ann Taylor when I was in the States in January, but I couldn't find anything then, whereas I ALWAYS see something I like when I'm on their webpage.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Hahah…I was wondering if you'd be mortified when you saw I tried FEBO. Always interesting to know what the locals think. It was novel to try and I'd definitely pop in if I was starving and needed a cheap snack on the go but I much prefer poffertjes and stroopwafels too. I can't lie…I did like the raw herring.

That's a bummer that you couldn't find anything. I actually lucked out and bought this skirt in the store but most of the stuff I've bought has been in tall sizes which is only sold online.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Oh and Restaurant Sinne is superb. I'd go back and I definitely recommend it if you're in the area.

• Reply tallwife.com May 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm

True, it is convenient sometimes to 'get something from the wall' as we call it (translates badly though, but you get the point… :), but it's definitely an on the go thing (or a midnight snack on the way home after a night out type thing).

The raw herring is just a matter of taste; I love fish, but that one is just not for me.. My husband loves them too though.

I'll be back in the States early June, so I might have a look at Ann Taylor then if I can find a few hours off work. 🙂

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 18, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Hah! "Get something from the wall". That's classic but I guess that's actually an accurate description. I could see how FEBO would be popular as a midnight snack for sure.

That's fun that you'll be going back to the US in June. Definitely stop in an Ann Taylor store if you get a chance.

If you ever go to Sinne, let me know how you like it!

• Reply tallwife.com May 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I'll be back in the States early June, so I might have a look then if I can find a few hours off work. 🙂

Yes, Sinne will defo go on the restaurant list, we often take friends from abroad to Amsterdam, so new suggestions are always welcome! I am almost like a tourist in Amsterdam myself… 😉

• Reply tallwife.com May 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm

• Reply Sarah Modeee May 14, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hello,

Nice pics ! 😀

Sarah, http://sarahmodeee.blogspot.fr/

• Reply A Look Back at 2015 January 1, 2016 at 2:52 pm

[…]  In the travel department, we sure covered a ton of ground including trips to Prague, Strasbourg, Amsterdam (and Keukenhof!), Champagne region, Loire Valley, Piedmont/Tuscany, Rhine River, Paris, London and […]