Tall Women's Clothing Pretty Tall Apeldoorn

Tall Shopping in The Netherlands – A Visit to Pretty Tall in Apeldoorn

I woke up on Monday morning in The Netherlands with that giddy “birthday morning and I’m ready for gifts and cake and ice cream and cupcakes and more ice cream” feeling because Mr. L3 and I were about to set off on an hour drive from Amsterdam to Apeldoorn to visit the tall shop Pretty Tall.  Am I the only one who gets this excited when experiencing in-person tall shopping?Before Monday, I’d only had the chance to visit a brick-and-mortar shop specializing in tall women’s clothes twice in my 30ish years so it obviously goes without saying that it is a RARE and very special treat. And if I’m ever in Amsterdam again, I won’t have to drive 1 hour to get to Pretty Tall because in February 2016, Pretty Tall opened its second location in Hoofddorp near Amsterdam! Karen from Tall Wife visited the shop and did a fabulous write-up here.

Back to my visit to Pretty Tall…5 years ago, 6’2 (1.90m) Inez Scheper realized her dream of opening a boutique dedicated exclusively to tall women with a wide range of hip and trendy styles. Last year, Inez took the tall shopping experience one step further and added a shop for tall men called Tough & Tall.  Don’t you love that name?  I was impressed with the size of the store and loved the modern interior as well as the on-trend styles. The store attendant who helped me was delightful – she made me feel very welcome and gave me great style advice.

The first sight that greeted me when I walked in was this cheery rack of bright springy tops and my giddiness increased tenfold! Such pretty patterns and colors!

Bright Tall Tops
Floral Tall Top

Yippee! A rack dedicated to my favorite color – BLUE!!

Blue Tall Tops

When I went to the other side of the store and saw this jean wall, my jaw may or may not have dropped and I may have drooled a little.  Ok…I didn’t really drool because that would be gross but I was definitely awestruck!  Inseams up to 38″, several different colors, washes and styles.  I think I could have just pitched a tent in the store and tried on jeans for days!

Tall extra-long jeans

More jeans on another wall and some cute shoes.  Speaking of shoes, there were some fabulous looking styles interspersed throughout the store.  I only had an hour to shop and was on a limited budget so I didn’t try on any shoes but if I ever go back, I will have a shoe trying on fest!!  And speaking of jeans, these two photos only show SOME of the jeans in the store.  Believe it or not, there were more pairs in other areas.

Large shoes and tall jeans

Now let’s get to some of the stuff I tried on and bought. This mint textured blazer caught my eye because I’m in the market for some bright blazers. It fit great and I loved the color, texture and details, but I knew I needed casual summer tops more than the blazer. Since I was on a budget and only had my birthday money to spend, I had to prioritize and ultimately didn’t get the blazer.

Tall textured blazer

Don’t you love the print and feathers on this tunic?!?!  I didn’t end up buying it since it didn’t fit me quite right, but I still love it on the hanger and I’m sure it’ll find a happy home with another tallista.
Tall feather tunic

My visit to Pretty Tall was actual quite momentous because it is the place that my years-long search for white jeans ended. I’ve ordered and sent back several pairs of white jeans and, although I always admired them on others, had basically decided they weren’t for me. Since Pretty Tall had such a vast selection, I figured I might as well try on a few different styles, including a pair with a 38″ inseam!  I ultimately settled on a pair of Mavi skinny jeans (Sophie style) with a glorious 36″ inseam and a perfect mid-rise. The day after I bought the jeans, I threw them on to see how they’d hold up while exploring the Champagne region of France.  I am happy to report that I was quite comfortable in them while walking approximately 8 km all around Reims and taking a couple of different tours.

36" Mavi Jeans

Here I am again in the Mavi skinnies with a lightweight patterned tunic that I also scored from Pretty Tall.  I adore the light blue print and easy-going fit of this tunic and will be getting a lot of wear out of it this spring and summer. It has a zipper in the back and can be worn slightly off the shoulder, belted as I’m doing here or in a half tuck style.

Extra-Long Skinny Mavi Jeans

I always love it when a top looks somewhat unassuming in the front but has a little party going on in the back. When I saw the lace detailing on the back of this bright tee at Pretty Tall, I knew it was just the everyday top I was looking for. The front is a blank slate for all manner of necklaces (although I didn’t wear one in these photos since most of my day was spent in the car). It’s hard to tell in the photos but it has a slightly crinkly texture which means it’s perfect for traveling because it’s absolutely acceptable (and actually advisable) for it to get a little wrinkly in your suitcase. If anyone raises an eyebrow, you can just show them the care instructions on the tag that says “Do not iron after washing.  By ironing the crinkle will disappear. Dry and store twisted”. Perfection!

All three of my fabulous purchases were handed to me in this adorable reusable shopping bag which I will indeed be using again and again!

Shopping for tall women in The Netherlands

As I (reluctantly) left the store, I snapped a few photos of the outside storefront so you can get an idea of how big it is (and these photos don’t even include the Tough & Tall storefront). If you are within easy driving/flying distance or ever plan to visit The Netherlands in general, make sure you put Pretty Tall on your travel agenda.  You won’t regret it! I’m already scheming about how I can make a return trip to The Netherlands for more tall shopping.  Shhh…don’t tell Mr. L3.

Check out more tall shopping in The Netherlands here.

Tall Women's Clothes The Netherlands
Tall Shopping in The Netherlands

Your Turn…
Have you ever been to a tall store?  Would you go an hour out of your way on vacation just to do some in-person tall shopping?

You might also like…
Tall Shopping Road Trip Series: The Netherlands, Tall Fashion Adventures
Tall Speciality Shop Challenge, Tall Fashion Adventures
European Tall Fashion Blogs, Tall Fashion Adventures

• Reply Melissa April 25, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Love the crinkly top with lacy back! That jean wall does look like heaven. I can't remember the last time I tried on a pair of jeans before buying them! I would definitely go out of my way on vacation to shop at a tall specialty shop. I pinned the info for Pretty Tall in case I'm ever in the Netherlands! So glad I found your blog. You've pointed me in the direction of some online shops I didn't know existed. Also love the pictures of France. My friends and I are planning a trip there for summer so if you find a tall shop there I'd love to know about it!

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 25, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Melissa! Yes. The jean wall was indeed heavenly. I wish I had had more time to try on more styles. I really hope you can make it to The Netherlands for some tall shopping some day. I found 8 tall speciality shops while scouring the internet prior to my trip and I totally want to do a road trip to hit all of them. Not quite sure how I'd afford that. I'd probably have to save a whole year's clothing budget. I'll be doing a follow-up blog post with a little map of all of the stores. France is amazing and beautiful! I'll definitely let you know if I catch wind of any tall shops there.

• Reply Dawn Lucy April 25, 2015 at 4:09 pm

What a fab store! Love the things you picked out! I just got my first pair of white jeans recently. Still not sure how flattering they are on me, but they do look chic right now!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 25, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Thanks Dawn! I just read your post on your new white jeans and they look great on you!

• Reply Sara - Girl in the Pretty Dress April 25, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this – what a great discovery! I especially love the patterned tunic and white jeans combo – so summery. x

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 25, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Hi Sara – I'm sure you can imagine how ecstatic I was to discover this tall store. It was indeed a great discovery like you said. Glad you like the tunic/white jeans. It just might become my summer uniform. 🙂

• Reply Fevie April 25, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I love the blue top and it looks so cool with the yellow tables. Blue and yellow one of my favorite color combos. I don't get why the good 'ole US does not have tall stores. It's ridiculous. There are plenty of tall women here who would love to shop at a brick and mortar location. You are so fortunate to be in Europe. As always you look beautiful in your outfits.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 26, 2015 at 11:54 am

I didn't even think about the blue and yellow together but I love that combo too! It is a shame that the U.S. doesn't have more tall shops. I do feel very lucky to be able to check out all of the tall stores in the EU! And thanks for the nice compliment. 🙂

• Reply Lydia April 26, 2015 at 2:05 am

You bet I would make the drive! I wish there was a store like that where I live.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 26, 2015 at 11:57 am

I know! I was telling Mr. L3 how amazing it would be to have a tall shop in my town. I would feel like a "normal" shopper. Think of all of the shops that everyone else gets to go to all the time…tall ladies just don't have that option. Maybe someday!

• Reply tallwife.com April 26, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Yay! You were in my country! 🙂 Hope you enjoyed it! I've never been to a 'specialized' tall shop, as I've always been lucky enough to find clothing in 'normal' shops, but I might give this one a try if I'm close to Apeldoorn (I live 45 mins away from there).

I love the blue color as well, it's very nice! and I am happy you found your white jeans! Did you ever find a pair of comfi open shoes / sandals you were after?

xx

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures April 28, 2015 at 8:51 am

TallWife – I absolutely adored your country! The people were so warm and kind and I'm glad we were able to drive because the countryside was beautiful. We were mostly in Amsterdam which was really fun! Next time we visit, I hope to explore some of the smaller towns. When that time comes, I'll probably ask you for some suggestions if you don't mind! If you do get a chance to visit Pretty Tall next time you're home, I don't think you'll be disappointed (and of course I want to hear about your experience).

Glad you like the blue and now that I have white jeans and realizing how many things they go with in my closet, I'm thinking "White jeans…where have you been my whole life?!?"

I have yet to find a pair of comfy sandals. Still on the prowl for that. It was too chilly in The Netherlands for sandals so I wore flats (and even boots a couple of days) both of which worked out great.

• Reply Patricia F. April 28, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for sharing Beth!! What a great discover I've never look at a rack full of jeans thinking any model could fit me. I'd love to have this sensation in the future, so YES! I'll go 1 hour away from Amsterdam if I ever come back to this great city and visit Pretty Tall just to look at that wall! You made great purchases, going for pants and jackets are the first things I'll look for if I ever step in a Tall shop. Great review of the store and the clothes! Have a great week!

xxPaty @antesAltaquesinsilla

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 5, 2015 at 10:28 am

I'm glad you liked it Paty! I hope you get to go there someday and experience the jean wall. 🙂

• Reply Alina Borak May 1, 2015 at 9:05 am

Nice post 🙂

• Reply Krista Mayne May 4, 2015 at 2:38 am

Love it all! What a great store and love your choices.

• Reply Tall girl May 5, 2015 at 9:41 am

I would have loved to come face to face with that jean wall! And I wouldn't mind a visit back to Reims — those pictures made me seriously travel sick (and long for champagne). Btw thanks for showing me the shopping bag with the saying on the back — after a quick google search I found lots of great posters about being tall and proud. Instagram, here I come!

Anett | Tall Girl's Fashion

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures May 5, 2015 at 10:31 am

Yes. The jean wall is every tall girl's dream! Glad you liked the shopping bag and will have an IG-fest with tall sayings. Reims and the surrounding areas were amazing. Taking in some beautiful countryside while sipping champagne. What's not to like?

• Reply Cozy Chic! Echo Ruana Wrap From Long Elegant Legs October 24, 2015 at 7:56 pm

[…] and grey sweater – Long Elegant Legs 36″ Inseam White jeans – Mavi (Review here) Extended Calf Boots – J.Crew (Review here) Belt – Madewell […]

• Reply Barcelona! Tall Blogger Meet-Up and Tall Travel Style February 19, 2016 at 12:51 pm

[…] Breakfast with fellow tall blogger Paty from Antes Alta Que Sinsilla What I Wore: Mavi white jeans, Talltique layering tee, Long Elegant Legs ruana, LTS Chelsea boots (c/o) Why I Wore It: It was a […]

• Reply Tall Shopping Road Trip Series: Germany and Switzerland February 23, 2016 at 3:42 pm

[…] why not block off 2-3 weeks of vacation and combine this road trip shopping spree with a visit to all of the tall shops in The Netherlands!  Your wardrobe would be set for years to come after a road trip like […]

• Reply Pretty Tall Shop Opening | Tall Wife February 26, 2016 at 11:06 pm

[…] been to a tall shop in my own tall country (not counting the Long Tall Sally Pop Up as a shop). Having read about Pretty Tall on Beth’s blog Tall Fashion Adventures, and this new shop opening 15 minutes away from work (which is dangerous, I can feel it), I had no […]

• Reply Tall Travel Style - Piedmont Italy (Take 2) June 17, 2016 at 11:53 pm

[…] I Wore: Mavi white jeans and palm print tunic from Dutch tall shop Pretty Tall Why I Wore It: I wanted to be comfy and chic for a gloriously long […]

• Reply Tall Travel Style - Cycling Around Copenhagen August 21, 2016 at 6:06 am

[…] 1 – 38″ Inseam Grey Jeans from I Love Tall; Palm print tunic from Pretty Tall; Paul Green Sandals; Necklace from Noonday […]