Clothing for Tall Kids – Does it Exist?

Update – January 2020! – I just became aware of a Canadian company called String Bean Clothing that specializes in leggings for tall girls. Elevated Closet also has some leggings for tall girls.

This week a reader asked me the following question on Instagram – “Do you have any fashion advice for tall children? My two year old is in a 4-5T, and the next size up is in big kids clothes. As much fun as shopping is, I’d rather have her in more age appropriate stuff. I know it’s not a big problem right now, but it will be when she’s 10 and is in teens’ clothing sizes”

As I pondered this question, I began to sympathize with my reader and understand why she would have some concerns over being able to find appropriate clothing for tall kids. Even though I don’t have kids yet (don’t worry family members…it’s on the agenda), I still wanted to try to get some feedback on this question.

I put out a call for help on the Tall Fashion Adventures Facebook page and received some uber helpful feedback from several people. One of the things I love about the “tall online community” is that it’s very collaborative and supportive and such a great place to turn to for advice.

Without further ado, here is a summary of the tips that I received from a few fabulous tall moms:

Angie, a 6’4 mother of two, very generously offered to do some research and report back. She did a great write-up on her blog that you can read here.

Ashley – Owner of Mommy Long Legs Maternity

Ashley chimed in on Facebook with some great insights for both boys and girls.  Here’s a summary of her thoughts on clothing for girls – Gymboree carries appropriate girl clothing through size 12 and you’ll get great quality clothing that you can hand down from one kid to the next. Shop their sales, stock up in the off-season when items are on clearance and use their coupons. The trick for not breaking the bank is to avoid buying the super cute full price items because they’ll always go on sale. I’m sure that’s easier said than done since little kids’ clothes are so darned adorable but Ashley makes it very clear that you must resist! Mini Boden, while pricey, has great classic styles ranging from kids to young ladies. This would be a line that girls can utilize as they get older.

Hop on over to the FB thread on this topic to read more about Ashley’s experiences (including the desire to dress her 3 year old son in happy prints like puppy dogs and monkeys only to find that the big boy sizes he was wearing came with skulls or flames).

Rajahnique from TallnNatural

Rajahnique has had issues finding pants that were long enough for her thin daughters without being huge in the waist. She realized that elastic-waist jeans were the best bet (although sometimes the extra bunching is still irritating).

Krista from Tall Clothing Mall and Tall Snob Store

Krista’s recommendation for tall/thin kids is to buy the pants at Old Navy with the adjustable waistbands. That way, if you have to go up a size for extra length, you can just cinch the waist.
What great feedback! It almost makes me want to have kids. Hah!

Do you have tall kids? What have your experiences been like?

• Reply Mrs. Pendergrass March 22, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Thank you so much for posting this to all your readers and fellow bloggers! All the advice has been just awesome 🙂

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures March 22, 2015 at 5:46 pm

You're welcome! It was an interesting question and I think a lot of people can relate to the topic. Glad you have found the advice useful! 🙂

• Reply Lydia March 22, 2015 at 8:47 pm

My daughter mostly gets hand me downs from a friend so I rarely have to shop for her. If I do shop then I just get a few things from Target. I agree that it gets frustrating as she keeps growing and the pants don't fit her in the waist. The elastic waist bands inside are the best solutions so far for both my son and daughter. Although they can get very Bunchy in the waist. 🙁

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures March 22, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Seems like pants are are a big culprit! That's great you get so many hand me downs

• Reply Anna July 14, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Thank for the post. I know it’s an old post but my concern is when summer comes. The shorts are booty shorts in juniors and the bathing suits are way to revealing. Mostly because she is too tall for the big kids size yet to small for jrs … Has anyone experience the same?

• Reply Lorraine November 15, 2018 at 7:07 am

For shorts we buy second hand pants and cut them. Straight line hem for the bottom. For bathing suits, we look for one piece gymnastic suits second hand. They are cut way higher in back and chest and way lower over the bum. No riding up!

• Reply Lorena May 21, 2019 at 9:31 pm

I have had the same issue with my daughter and it has only gotten worse. She is now 11 years old and is 5’7. It seriously gives me anxiety when it’s time to shop for her because not one piece of clothing fit her for her age. Most sizing for girls clothes only go up to 5’4. It is sad she is forced to wear clothes that in my opinion are no where near age appropriate for an 11 year old. Maybe it’s time to start writing to these company’s to consider making clothes for tall kids.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures September 19, 2019 at 11:52 pm

I know my sister has similar issues with my 11 year old niece and I’m guessing I’ll run into the same thing in 10 years with my baby. Sigh! I agree that there is a demand for clothing for tall kids and it’s only going to increase since our population is generally getting taller