Long Tall Sally Pop-Up

Review: Orange County’s Long Tall Sally Pop-Up Shop!

Long Tall Sally Orange County Pop-Up Shop
My (5’11) sister and I after shopping at the Long Tall Sally pop-up in Huntington Beach, CA.  I’m thinking the hotel maintenance man who took our pic should not quit his day job in pursuit of a photography career.

“Are you two together?’ the Long Tall Sally dressing room attendant asked me and my sister.  “Yep” I replied as she led us to our dressing room.  She whipped back the curtain to reveal two half-clothed strangers busily trying on their LTS finds.  “Whoa…wrong room” I said as I tried to avert my eyes and back out of the room as fast as I could.  “Nope,” said the attendant as she began helping my sister and I set up our stuff. “It’s 4 to a room.  You’ll get to know your neighbors really well. Thanks for being flexible.” Ummmm…you’re welcome?
And so began my first experience with a Long Tall Sally pop-up shop. It didn’t take long to overcome my initial shock at being forced to strip down in front of two tall ladystrangers because I was excited to try on my finds.  And, had I been prepared in advance that there would be communal dressing rooms, I would have been fine with it (and would have shaved my legs a little better). It was just the initial shock that caught me off guard.  I’m not sure if this is how the dressing room situation is at all pop-up shops, but consider this my PSA.  Just think of it this way…you get to see how stuff looks on other people and maybe even steal their LTS finds to try on for yourself.[**UPDATE** – When I went to my second LTS pop-up in 2012, I had my own dressing room. Not nearly as much fun as the communal one at my first one! :)]
Now on to the fun finds!! As you know, I was on the hunt for a dress to wear to my friend’s wedding, and my last ditch effort was trying to find one at the pop-up shop the day of the wedding.  There were maybe 6 or 7 dress styles to choose from, and I’m picky so this is the only one that tripped my trigger.  I believe the LTS folks said it’s a new item which probably explains why I can’t find it on their website but maybe it’s coming soon?

Long Tall Sally Orange County Pop-Up Shop
For those of you who haven’t seen me in awhile…yep…I chopped my hair.  Well…for me this is chopped.
Yes yes. I know it looks great from the front (oops…does that sound conceited?) and I was rather  smitten until I looked at the back and noticed how baggy it was from my neck down to the top of my rump. There was no way I could go a size down because I just barely stuffed my arms into the sleeves of the size 8.  Sigh!  I’m not surprised…I have a TERRIBLE time finding dresses that properly fit my size small top half and “size ample” bottom half.
I didn’t go home empty-handed though.  No siree bob.  In keeping with one of my favorite looks, tunics and leggings, I bought a cable knit tunic (size small) which will be perfect as we transition to cooler weather here in the South. My sister bought the tiered front jersey top in terra cotta (size small) which she promptly wore out on a date with her husband that night.  Woohoo!  I wish I still lived within clothes-stealing distance of my sister because I would definitely be raiding her closet for this top.

More pics with palm trees in the background!  Hooray for CA!!

Stay tuned for my next post where I’ll share some of my musings and observations about the pop-up and tall shopping in general.  Get excited!

• Reply Liz October 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Nice post and the dress sure did look nice from the front!

I went to 2 LTS pop-ups in NYC and though it was one to a fitting room (they were small) the lines were terrible and the wait too long. People take a lot of things in with them – understandably. And the staff is really helpful getting other sizes for people. Hopefully they can improve the fitting room situations.

• Reply Veronica October 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm

hmmm… do I live within clothes-stealing distance so I can steal her top?
    And kudos for you being so flexible with the close-quarters dressing room. Not sure I'd be so brave.

• Reply Krista October 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Wow, not sure how I feel about 4 in a dressing room. I missed the pop-up shop in Denver. Hopefully next time.
    Krista
    Tall Clothing Mall

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Veronica – Hmmm…I suppose you do live within clothes-stealing distance. Maybe I should warn my sis.

Krista – If you make it to the Denver pop-up at some point, I'll be curious to hear if it is set up the same. I believe there may have been one room in a different area that you could wait for if you wanted a private dressing room. However, by the time I found out the other rooms were communal, I didn't feel like waiting in another line for my own private room.

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Liz! Wow…you've been twice? You're a pop-up pro!I definitely agree that the staff is very helpful in grabbing other sizes for you. Your comments re the tiny dressing rooms and long lines kind of tie in to another entry that I'll be posting later this week about the woes/"joys" of tall shopping.

• Reply Lydia October 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Very nice blog post! I think i need to stand up a little straighter. And I guess I should be on the lookout for some burglars. 🙂

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures October 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Thanks Lyd! Being the photographer, maybe I shoulda barked at you "shoulders back, belly in, stand up straight!!!" Just kidding. I didn't even notice and I think you look beautiful.

• Reply chicas altas a la moda March 26, 2015 at 10:12 am

You're lucky to have a high sister. You are ver y pretty. The dress looks ver y nice. 🙂

Chicasaltasalamoda.blogspot.com

• Reply Tall Fashion Adventures March 26, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Yes! I do feel so lucky to have a tall sister. It's so much fun. Thank you for the compliments! You made my day. 🙂

• Reply Long Tall Sally Pop-Up Review From My Mom and Sister August 18, 2015 at 3:21 pm

[…] never forget the first Long Tall Sally pop-up shop that I went to with my sister back in 2011.  It was such a fun, exhilarating experience to browse all of the tall […]

• Reply A Look Back at 2015 January 1, 2016 at 2:38 pm

[…] moving to Europe, the extent of my in-person tall shopping was a few visits to Long Tall Sally pop-ups.  In the last year, I’ve been to Long Tall Sally stores 3 times, had a blast checking out […]

• Reply My Sister's Tall Find #1 - Long Elegant Legs Tunic March 6, 2017 at 7:53 am

[…] first met my 5’11 sister when we went to the Long Tall Sally pop-up shop together and then she appeared again on the blog when she shared with us how it was to shop for […]